The original property was built in 1932 on over an acre of land in The Movie Colony during the social heyday of the nearby El Mirador Hotel. It was built by Alvah Hicks, an early pioneer of Palm Springs water supply, as a small Spanish Colonial style bungalow that has since been added to 3 times, once every 20 years. And each new wing created patios and courtyards with their own personality.
Featured in Palm Springs Life in 2017, the home was jokingly compared to the Winchester Mystery House if designed by Cliff May. Slump stonewalls and beamed ceilings are used throughout, but in 3 distinct styles. The most significant addition was in 1970, designed by Claremont modernist architects Everett Tozier and William Abbott in the Modern Mediterranean style.
The current owners have embraced the eclectic style of the home with both midcentury and antique furnishings while renovating disparate architectural elements with a more unified style. The expansive yard has been redesigned in the last 2 years by the owners with a series of themed gardens: the Native Garden, Palmetum, Event Lawn, Fruit Orchard, Cactus Garden, and Modern Courtyard.